Brent Banyard Memorial Scholarship
It is an honour for me to be asked to write this blog about Brent Banyard ( March 10, 1968 - July 23, 2016), who was not only the president of Misty Banyard Studio from 2014 - 2016, but was also my husband of 23 years.
Born in Alliston, Ontario to his wonderful parents Tom and June Banyard, Brent and his older brother Jamie spent his formative years moving between Comox, BC, Shearwater, NS and Greenwood, NS as part of his father's work for the Canadian Air Force. Aspiring to be exactly like the man he most admired, his dad, Brent went into the Canadian Air Force straight out of high school, serving for 22 years, first as a Communications and Radar Technician and then as an Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator- his father's trade.
I really haven't the words to express to you all what Brent truly meant to me. He was the most wonderful, kind, generous and loving man I have ever known. He was my best friend, my soul mate, my protector, my number one fan, my personal comedian...and so much more. He was so incredibly special and I feel so fortunate that he choose to spend his life with me.
Brent was a people person and it shone through in everything he did, whether it was chatting with somebody in a line at the grocery store, spending time with our dear friends, speaking with students and their parents, or hanging with his gaming family online. That's just the kind of man he was. He always put others before himself and went out of his way to be welcoming to everyone he encountered. There is not a single person that didn't feel the light of his generous spirit, not a soul remained untouched by his loving nature.
The Banyard family is honoured to continue his legacy or caring and support, especially for young people, in the following ways:
* We have established a Memorial Music Scholarship Fund and a yearly bursary for the a National Capital Air Cadet Squadron;
* To date we have been able to benefit 12 students through contributions to their Music Competition and Exam Fees for students in Misty Banyard Studio;
* We have provided a scholarship to a local young singer at the National Association of Teachers of Singing Vocal Festival held in October;
* We have sponsored 32 tickets to performances in the National Capital Region, so that students may have the opportunity to experience professional level live music; and
* We have provided a beautiful Trophy to the Kiwanis Music Festival, in order to recognize the hard work of a young singer for years to come.
As difficult as it is for all of us, myself most especially, to have to say goodbye to such a kind and giving individual, it brings us all much peace to know that his name and generosity will live on through these scholarships and bursaries.
Should you wish to donate to this fund, please send a cheque, payable to "Misty Banyard Studio" to our office at 27 Uxbridge Crescent, Kanata, ON K2L 1P6 or send an e-transfer to email@example.com bearing the subject "Brent Banyard Memorial Scholarship Fund" (While we are a not-for-profit, we are not classified a charity yet, which means that we cannot provide tax receipts for donations)